Sunday, February 15, 2009

Culture Shock Down South

I'm from Boston.I have traveled down south, but usually I just take a plane to the nearest airport, and an hour or so later I am at my destination.  This past summer however I made a 5.5 hour drive from Dayton, OH to Gatlinburg, TN.  I was going through my photos and there were some distinctively different sights....




I am sure that some of you will look at these things and think nothing of it.  That is the point I am trying to make.  When we stay in our own comfort zone (emotionally and geographically) we get so accustomed to the way things are that we look sideways at anything that doesn't particularly mesh with our own worldview.  I was definitely surprised to see all of the images above, but i think it was good.  It really just underscores the fact that if you are going to design any type of product or service for somebody, having a personal, holistic understanding of who they are and where they come from can make all of the difference.


No comments: